Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why I love our town

My family and I were traveling to Tyler Saturday afternoon to try to get pet supplies to save the life of the family iguana, T.W. (stands for Tail Whip, ask my son why). As we headed up East Tyler, a friend of mine was walking home, probably heading from work.
"Honey, mind if I swing around pick this guy up before we get out of town? He's a friend. Super nice guy?"
She was fine with it, of course. So we swung the car around and headed back the other direction. By the time we reached the friend, another truck had already stopped and he was getting in. It took us all of a minute to turn around.
I told my wife, "How many towns can you try to offer a friend a ride and somebody else beats you to it before you can even turn around?"
Really, think about that. Athens isn't perfect. It's just more perfect than a lot of other places, including most big cities you'll ever step foot in.
I've been in other places, all of them relatively small and all of them pretty nice towns. But I'm glad I'm getting to raise my kids here.
-- Jayson Larson, editor

No comments:

Post a Comment