Saturday, December 20, 2008

Step behind the car sir...

These are words I thought I would never hear when being pulled over by a highway patrol. But tonight I did. My family and I headed out Friday to visit some family members for a holiday get together, and on our way back home we were pulled over by a highway patrol. The officer was sitting on our side of the road, with his lights off of course. As we passed him he threw on his lights. I looked at my husband and said,"you weren't speeding were you" and he said,"no that's why I'm wandering why the heck he is pulling us over." So my husband proceeded to pull over to the shoulder. The young man walks up with his flashlight in our face and says, "good evening sir I pulled you over for two reasons, 1. you have a headlight out (which we didn't realize) and 2. your lights on your license plate are burnt out." I thought to myself doesn't this guy have more important things to do than pulling us over for a head light, I mean come on shouldn't you be solving a crime or saving the world. Now I know they are doing what they are suppose to be doing and I applaud and appreciate them for everything they do, because I would not have their jobs for anything. OK so back to the story...so after the officer asks my husband for his insurance and license he said,"sir could you step out of the truck and go to the back." So of course my husband does what he asks but at this point I am thinking Oh my goodness what it he doing? Then the officer proceeds to lean inside the truck and reach in in my direction. Again I am thinking what is this officer doing? Then I notice he is reaching for a new knife that my husband had just received at the Christmas party we went to. It was a big knife I do have to agree! So he proceeds to take the knife out of the holster it was in and he says a few things to my husband that I did not quite hear and then he said,"yes I believe you are OK sir, the knife is only 5 inches." I don't know if it's just me but I had no idea having a large knife was illegal. I know that may sound goofy and I probably should not admit that, but I really didn't realize that. Finally after about 10 minutes we were back on our way home and thank goodness with no more cops bothering us.

I guess I told you this whole story to say....I could only imagine what these men and women see. What they go through in a days work. I mean here we are a nice truck with two kids, me, and my husband. Nicely dressed, very polite, seat belts on (well after we saw the cop that is) and this cop was nervous about a knife in the cup holder. I mean I guess you can never tell with people now a days. Felons come in all shapes and sizes. Please keep our officers in your prayers this holiday season, it is because of them we have safe streets!

--Andi Green, advertising director, Athens Review

3 comments:

  1. I like to check the blotter to see how many crimes where being committed at the time you were being pulled over for a light out. I'd also like to ask the police officer how many of those crimes were being committed by a family of four dressed nicely and driving a nice truck? I'm guessing he either sees a lot of tuxedo bandits in his patrol area or he didn't think he had anything better to do. It should have been a big clue that you weren't wanted fugitives when he called your plate in before he stopped you...Yes, I am very thankful for our men and women in uniform, but please spend the tax payers dollars a little more wisely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about a cop pulling your over....I had a dream where my dad and I were driving to a store and then a cop stopped and told us that our tire is coming off the wheel. So, we got out of the car and looked for ourselves and the cop was right. Than I woke up so I don't know what happen next. :) I keep having weird dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to the blogger Kathy from above. That is sad for her to make such a senseless comment about tax payers dollars. Please think next time that criminals come in all shapes and sizes (as mentioned earlier). Plus, with a head light and license plate out would you not consider safety an issue? I would be concerned that it may impair driving ability, and perhaps the officer was pulling them over as a courtesy. Then the knife was in plain site which should concern any officer pulling a person over. The last time I checked your clothing, car, and children do not exempt a person from committing a crime. Please be considerate next time you cry about tax payers dollars. Your money that was spent may have saved their lives. Please respect their job and complain about something more constructive next time.

    ReplyDelete