Thursday, December 18, 2008

Santa letters rock!

Just got done proofing a couple of pages of Santa letters submitted by our local and area kids. I'm a big softie and always get teary over these letters, which can be hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time.
My Top 5 so far:
1. From those who like to ask about Santa as much as they like to ask for things from him: "How are the reindeers? How is Mrs. Claus doing? Do you like cats Santa? ..."
2. "I have been a bad boy this year. I am sorry Santa." At least he's telling the truth ...
3. This one starts off as abrupt as it gets: "Santa am I on the good list or not?"
4. And this one, from a child who wants to make sure he and his brother are taken care of: "I want 100006 $ dollors. And for my little brother, a monster truck." And you thought your kids fought about one or the other getting a cooler gift.
5. Last, but not least, there's always a bundle from kids with amazingly kind hearts. This one appeared to be from a third-grader: "You are the best in the world next to God. I love you because you never let kids down. You bring presents if they are good and coal if they are bad. Thank you for never letting me down."
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty darn sure that little girl won't be getting coal.

The special section in which Santa letters will be printed, by the way, will be published Sunday.

— Jayson Larson, editor, Athens Review

No comments:

Post a Comment