Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas trees? Gotta keep it real


I'm the last bastion of hope in my family when it comes to Christmas trees. When it comes to our annual Christmas pine, I keep it real.
No fake trees for me. I was raised in a house where a fake tree was frowned upon. Now, sadly, those family members one by one have fallen victim to the ease and convenience of having a plastic pine. For shame.
I didn't get my tree until this past Sunday, and it was a nail-biter. Our local Walmart had just a few left. I had to have one Sunday morning, and the Christmas tree farm wouldn't open until the afternoon.
So I bucked up, channeled my inner Clark Griswold and did what any level-headed man would do: I pondered cutting one down myself. My sister, who was along for the ride in search of the Larson family Christmas tree, put her hands in her head and grinned. Not a funny ha-ha grin, but one that said something like, "Men are stupid, and here's more proof."
Needless to say, I got my tree, fired an ornament cannon and weighed down every branch I could find, and as you see above, now proudly have my tree on display at Larson Manor.
If you're extra proud of your tree -- OK, I'll allow fake trees -- send your pic to editor@athensreview.com and we'll post them on our blog. Don't forget to include your name!
— Jayson Larson, editor, Athens Review

1 comment: