Friday, December 19, 2008

LIVE SPORTS BLOG: Being Keith Durrett

Lady Hornets head coach Keith Durrett must be good at math. At least he must like numbers. As I watch his girls warm up for the second half, I'm pondering what in the world he's talking about as he yells a series of numbers to his players during the course of the game.
I've heard "0" and "100." I think I heard a "77" in there somewhere. Obviously he's calling strategy from the sideline. I know this: Kilgore got lots of "100" in the first half, and they would probably like to hear another number in the second half.

By the way, just looked at the numbers. Athens outscored Kilgore 18-4 in the second quarter. Alex Furr leads all scorers with 14 points at the half, and Kemia Jordan has eight. They make a great 1-2 punch from beyond the three-point arc. I think Durrett's got a rule that you can't take a jumper under 15 feet or something.

If you're following now, I'll be blogging throughout this game and again beginning around 4:30 for the Lady Hornets' third pool play game against Chapel Hill. That will be their final pool play game. Consolation title game is at 3 tomorrow, following by the third-place game at 4:30 and the championship game at 6.

-- Jayson Larson, editor, Athens Review

No comments:

Post a Comment